August 28, 2010

Why I don't have a Mobile?

Sometime ago, someone asked me why don't I carry a mobile phone. And I replied that 'I don't want one'. But later, I introspected.. Do I really don't want to have a mobile? And the answer I got was, No I need one... I need a mobile device which I can use as a PMP because, like everyone else, I am an avid music listener. And to be able to share a video or two with friends during free time, never hurts. I need a mobile device to take an odd picture or two. There are moments, that you really want to capture forever, and you rue the fact that you don't have a camera handy at that time. I need a device which I can use to read stuff on the move (think ebook reader). There are lot of cool stuff on the system or over web that you want to read, but reading through the monitor (that too a measly 15" CRT one) is really a pain in the.. eyes. A phone can be handy for everyday alarm and for making reminders. 

But if I really need it, then why don't I have it already?

1. I don't want a device on which I can be contacted 24X7. OK, you have friends and family, that care about you and want to be constantly in touch with you. But then you gotta have a life of your own. I have a home no. on which I can be contacted when at home. Otherwise I try to contact back. And I can be easily contacted online. Why would I want someone to bug me, when I am spending quality time with friends or doing something creative, or relaxing or traveling? And though I love my family very much, I don't want them to constantly pester me about my whereabouts. It irritates me (opinions vary of course).

2. I am happy without a mobile phone. Today, its considered a surprise when people don't have a mobile. In fact, some people have so varying needs that they carry multiple phones for different purposes. But, for me its a matter of feeling proud rather than ashamed about not having a phone. Thank God, at least somewhere I fall in the minority category!

3. I have more important things on my wish list. That includes upgrading my old work horse, a tiny miny netbook, a digicam etc. If I have the money, I will burn it on them. If I still have the money, then may be i will buy a mobile too.

4. Its really fun to do without a mobile. I have very generous friends who don't mind letting me use their mobile for an odd call or message. And if thats not possible, then a PCO booth is almost always some distances away. So, may be a little inconvenient, but people can really live without phone. I seldom regret not having a phone. Believe me, one can survive without a phone in this world.

5. I am trying to keep someone's promise. Someone promised me about buying me a mobile phone about 2 years back (at that time, even I wanted to buy one). But then due to some reason or other, that person hasn't been able to fulfill the promise (I don't have an iota of doubt about the person's will). I don't want to break the promise, by buying a mobile phone myself. 


So, these are some of my reasons why I still don't have a mobile. But I do see myself carrying mobile in the future. I respect people who have mobiles, they need it, so they have it. I just want a similar respect about my views. I do not need it (for now), so I don't have it. Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment